8.18.2009

Inspiration

I never have trouble finding inspiration around me, but by far, being social is the biggest inspiration I could ever have. A lot of people see me as an antisocial or "human hater," but I've come to realize, that I just don't like people my age. Throughout my whole life, I have had friends much older than myself. It seems the older I get, the wider the gap between my friends and myself. I think this is partially due to the youngest child curse. Or, it may also be due to the fact that I 1)knit 2)have bad knees and silly ailments and 3) am named Rose (i.e. I am an old lady at heart). Now, some of my best friends are in their sixties, and I would not exchange their friendship for all of the 23 year olds in the world.

I've recently begun knitting with a group of ladies in Denver. Their ages range from early 50s to mid 80s, and I always return home so elated after a visit. Since my visit with them on Saturday, the inspiration has been flowing out of my fingertips. I've knit two scarves and a bag, and it's not over yet! I have so many ideas, excitements, aspirations, and patterns bouncing around in my head! Where's my paper! Why can't I work faster?

One great thing about having older friends is they've already experienced so much of life. They are always truthful, yet caring; short, yet understanding. They tell the best stories, have the best comebacks, and they never ever miss a beat. I am constantly giggling during their "open" conversations. I know I can always complain about new-fangled technology and kids these days without someone getting their feelings hurt.

Not only do they offer great insights in to the world, but they are always there to support you. Do you need a great neurologist? One of them knows the best. Need to learn a certain cast on? They've all tried at least five. Want to know the truth about those two colors you put together? Just ask the one that knows all about color. Need to sell your recycled yarn somewhere? She has a show every year. It's just so awesome! I hope I can be friends with these women for the rest of my life.

Plus, I know that I will always have wonderful food and plenty to bring home to the husbeast.

5 comments:

MitaKay said...

I absolutely LOVE this!

Rosie said...

You're the best!

Gracie said...

Very nice.
I discovered your blog through Ravelry. I'm moving to Denver the end of September and have started joining Rav groups based there so I can have some ready-made points of reference upon arrival.
I loved your pictures in your 3 Jun post, too.

~Knitting Up A Storm~ said...

Thanks Rosie! You're sweet. :)

~Knitting Up A Storm~ said...

p.d- 1. i'm 23 (well, for about a month left) 2. I knit 3. I have bad knees (always giving me some sort of complaint) 4. I don't have a lot of friends my age

We're in the same boat. Anyways, quality over quanity is the key.